Bread is one of those foods that is always hard to find something that is allergy friendly. That’s why we started making our own homemade white bread (we have a great wheat bread recipe we are going to share too). It’s really simple to make, and costs a fraction of the price to make than buying loaves at the store. Plus, I always love knowing exactly what’s going into the food that I am feeding my family.
If you are like my daughter, she can eat her weight in bread. That’s why our very first recipe here at Allergy Friendly Kitchen is this homemade bread recipe. There are so many fun ways that you can change it up to make different kinds of breads, and it makes great toast, sandwiches, or just serve it with your pasta dishes.
- 1 C Warm Water
- 1 T Active Dry Yeast
- 2 T Honey
- 2⅔ Cups All Purpose Flour or Bread Flour
- 1 t Salt
- 1 T Olive Oil
- In a blender or a large mixing bowl, quickly mix warm water, yeast, and 1 T honey. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes
- In a separate bowl, measure out the flour.
- To yeast mixture, add salt, another 1 T honey, and olive oil and whisk/blend
- Adding ¼ of flour mixture at a time, mix in flour mixture to yeast mixture until all combined.
- In a covered bowl/jar allow to set for about 10 minutes.
- On a well floured surface, knead just to form dough into loaf pan.
- Place in a greased 9X5 loaf pan and allow to rise in a warm place for 20-60 minutes until loaf is about 1-2 inches over the pan.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Then cook bread for 20-25 minutes until top is golden brown.
- Allow to completely cool before cutting.
Now all you have to do is make your own loaf! It’s great on sandwiches, or just lathered in your favorite fruit spread!